A 20-year-old patient was seen for tiredness that they had experienced for 2 weeks. The patient was healthy and had been active in the sports. Dr. Usha Jain, director of Emergi-Care Medical Center, examined her and ordered blood tests. The mother of the patient was worried about her daughter’s tiredness and wanted all the tests done to find the cause of her tiredness. The patient had all the tests to find out the cause of tiredness such as:
- Mononucleosis: Heterophil antibody titer
- Lyme disease
- E-B virus: Epstein Barr Virus Antibody Panel
- Adrenal dysfunction (stress): Cortisol
- Thyroid disease: T4, T3 and TSH
- Vitamins: Vitamin B12, Folate and Vitamin D
- Allergies: IgE
- Yeast infections
- Intestinal parasites: Stool Ova and Parasites
- Lead poisoning: Lead test
- Mercury poisoning
- Hormone deficiency: Progesterone, Estradiol
The patient turned out to have positive heterophil antibody titer, low vitamin B12 level and low Vitamin D level.
The patient was treated with vitamin B12 injection and oral vitamin D. Patient responded well to the treatment and started playing her sports again.